Thursday, May 29, 2008

R.I.P. Harvey Korman

Comedian Harvey Korman is dead. When I was at WMAL, I once had a Program Director who insisted that stories about all celebrities be preceded by a title such as "singer" or "actor" or "comedian" because he didn't think our listeners were smart enough to know who these celebrities are. He literally told me that if Bob Hope dies (this was before Bob Hope actually DID die), we should call him "comedian Bob Hope". How insulting. So let me amend my opening remarks.



Harvey Korman is dead. He had an aneurysm. He was 81. You may remember him best as Carol Burnett's TV sidekick who could never manage to keep from giggling during the sketches on her TV show. But I prefer to recall the Harvey Korman who managed to exude an air of taking himself too seriously when, in fact, he was doing quite the opposite. Korman was at his most brilliant in Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles", playing corrupt politician Hedy Lamarr:



I know... I know... It's HEDLEY!

Rest In Peace, Harvey.

No comments: