Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Water, Anyone?

Well, we somehow managed to survive the great Water Main Break of 2008. There are two buckets and two coolers on my deck filled with water from yesterday afternoon's thunderstorm. I cleverly put them out there to capture the rain so I could flush my toilets, but happily they were not needed because some initially light brown-colored water started flowing back through my pipes late yesterday afternoon.

Of course, this did not stop my wife from stopping at a Giant in Gaithersburg (where they did not have an outage) and buying not one, but TWO 2 1/2 gallon jugs of water. Now. mind you, I had already purchased 3 cases of water, AND we already HAD another two cases in the garage. When I asked her why she bought more, Mrs. Matthews replied, "Because they had it, and because you never should have gotten rid of our emergency supply four years ago!" (See yesterday's blog for more on this)

All of this talk of bottled water got me looking online for pictures, and led me to discover there is a growing anti-bottled water movement in the world, as environmentalists fight plastic bottle pollution. I am by no means a crunchy granola activist, but let's face it folks... These people are right - and the fact that Coke and Pepsi can bottle tap water and get us all to buy it shows just how brilliant they are as marketers!



I think I could use a drink - something stiffer than water!

No comments: