Friday, August 1, 2008

It's A Miracle! Hallelujah!

I've just come out of surgery, and against all odds, I was able to bring my 1983-vintage General Electric clock radio back to life! Now, I'm afraid it will never again be the spry, witty, devil-may-care machine that it was in say, 1986, but honestly... who among us ARE that way any more?

As mentioned in my previous post, I decided to go ahead and crack the clock radio open for the first time in 24 years, just to see if I could figure out a way to fix the dial, which suddenly no longer moved when I turned the knob.

I turned the clockradio bottoms up and saw a message molded into the plastic, warning me that if I even dared to turn the screws holding the machine closed that I would no doubt send my heart into cardiac arrest from the 200 megawatt blast of leftover electricity from some capacitor that would no doubt vaporize me instantly. The message also said there were no serviceable parts inside the clock radio, and that if I had any questions, I should write to some General Electric office in Syracuse, New York. (We forget how quaint life was before the internet, don't we?)

Ignoring all warnings and putting my life in sudden jeopardy, I removed the screws, opened the case, and nearly CHOKED on the 25 years of dust that had accumulated inside. The cloud filled the room! Feeling my way inside, I found no obvious path to the tuner knob, so I removed the knob and found a string wrapped around the knob post... I untangled the string, gave it a gentle tug, and discovered that the string operates the dial... you can pull it in either direction to find your station of choice! Somehow, it had detached from the tuner knob, and therefore ceased to work! I was not able to reattach the string, but now that I know how it operates, I can set the station again!

Not a perfect solution, but it'll keep me from having to find a replacement! Sometimes, prayers really ARE answered!

No comments: