Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bend It Like Beckham? GO GET BENT!


I don't know why this pisses me off. It just does.


GLASGOW, Scotland (AP) - David Beckham wants to leave the Los Angeles Galaxy and stay with AC Milan after his loan to the Italian club is scheduled to end next month.
The 33-year-old English midfielder announced his intentions Wednesday after playing in Milan's 2-2 exhibition tie at Glasgow Rangers. His three-month loan is due to end March 8.
"At the moment my lawyers are not talking to the Galaxy," Beckham said. "But I have expressed my desire to stay at AC Milan now, and it's just down to Milan and Galaxy to come to an agreement."
"I have enjoyed my time here," he added. "I knew I would enjoy it but I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I have and do as well as I have."
Beckham is about two years into a $32.5 million, five-year contract with Major League Soccer. The Galaxy had no immediate comment.
"To be given the chance again to play at this level at my age is pretty incredible and I've enjoyed it so much I would like to continue it," he said. "I think people have seen the way I've been since playing at this level again."
"It's nothing against the MLS and the football over there because it's a game that will grow, but it will take quite a few years," he added. "I'm still confident that will happen eventually, but I want to have a chance of being involved (in the World Cup) in 2010 and I believe my best chance of doing so is to remain here."


David Beckham was brought into the Major Soccer League in order to raise the profile of soccer in the U.S., and he was given a TON of money to do so. He is the biggest star in his sport in the world, and he was given center stage in Los Angeles to do his thing.


The only problem is that while Beckham was eager to raise his profile and cash his checks, he was never particularly motivated to actually play soccer. I personally don't give a damn about the game, myself. But for Beckham to sign on for an uphill battle and then quit when he realizes his star power is probably not up the task - or that it is at least harder than he thought it would be - it just sucks.


It also speaks volumes about the man. America may or may not need soccer. But it definitely doesn't need David Beckham.

No comments: