Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It's Been A Long Year.


Today marks the one-year anniversary of Disney's sale of WMAL to the corporation that shall go nameless. My wife insists on replacing the first letter of that company's name with "Sh" - but let's not go there.

Disney was a fun company to work for.... at least it was for me. It provided both my vocation and my avocation... and a lot of vacations, too!

I do miss the perks - the park passes and the discounts... But most of all, I miss the access. There is nothing cooler than being able to drive up to the front gate of the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, show an ID badge, and be able to walk around the campus where Walt Disney's animators created their magic. There's nothing more fun than driving "backstage" behind the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World and going shopping at a cast-member-only store!

Looking back, it certainly seems now like Disney made the right move by selling off its radio stations. The stations had already become a drag on Disney's corporate earnings, and since the sale, the radio business in general has spiraled into freefall. I'm pretty sure if Disney had held onto WMAL, many of the employees who were cut would still have been cut - and frankly, it would have been much tougher personally for me to be canned by Disney instead of its' successor.

At least this way, we'll always have Orlando...

No comments: