Monday, June 23, 2008

Remembering George Carlin


I am beat to hell today, and I have TONS to blog about after an uber-busy weekend of New York bat mitzvah-hopping and getting my kids off to summer camp for a month. All of that will have to wait until tomorrow, but one thing could NOT wait.

Today, I lost a true childhood hero - George Carlin. George was a hero to me on two levels... First of all, he was to me what "Family Guy" and "South Park" are to my 14-year-old son. My first adolescent taste of counter-culture... The first opportunity I had for my parents to look the other way as I listened to Carlin's record albums with my friends behind the cliosed doors of my bedroom. Carlin was everything I was NOT... Long-haired... stoned... and COOL. Talk to any guy of my generation, and I can almost guarantee you he'll remember at least a small bit of George Carlin's humor.

Secondly, and most importantly to me, George Carlin was one of the real inspirations I had to launch a career in radio. His radio bits were not only funny as hell to me... it also was performed at a comfort level and at a rhythm that I mimicked time and again as I fooled around with being a budding disk jockey in junior high and high school.

Carlin's obituaries will remember him most for the seven dirty words you can't say on television, but to me, the quintessential George Carlin is wonderful WINO radio... Thanks, George.

No comments: