Friday, June 20, 2008

God Bless Our Stupid Government

Recently, I shared with you the results of a government audit that reveals just how much federal government employees abuse their sick leave. For example, the average IRS employee calls in sick 11 days a year! Now, the House of Representatives has passed a bill that would give federal workers even more paid time off - at least four, and up to eight weeks of paid parental leave whenever a family delivers or adopts a baby. This would be on top of any accrued vacation time, paid sick leave or unpaid leave the father or mother chooses to take.

I think parenthood is a wonderful thing. My wife and I have two children of our own - because we decided to have children! My employer at the time was by no means obligated to give me paid time off because I decided to have a family. Why should I, as a taxpayer, be required to pay for federal workers to start their own? I would not gripe about this if federal workers didn't already get more paid leave than they know what to do with. And I have less of a problem giving new mothers paid time off. They do, after all, have to actually GIVE birth, which - let's face it fellas - is something that we men would NEVER be willing to do ourselves.

Maybe what we need is another government report to study the issue of healthcare - like this one:

Study: Most Children Strongly Opposed To Childrens Healthcare

1 comment:

Dr. Deb said...

Hi John!!

I love The Onion, and that news report was hilarious. I happen to agree wholeheartedly with you on this subject.

Gonna link you to my blog so I can visit you often.