Thursday, July 24, 2008

Brett Favre And Me - Two Peas In A Pod!

It looks like Brett Favre is eventually going to get his wish - to leave the Green Bay Packers and to finish his career in the uniform of another team. When that happens, it'll be a sight that will take a LOT of getting used to... seeing ol' number 4 in colors other than green and gold - similar to Joe Montana finishing his career as a Chief instead of a 49er, or Johnny Unitas looking absurd in a San Diego Chargers uniform instead of his navy and white Colts jersey.


Closer to home, perennial all-pro defensive end (and dancer!) Jason Taylor was traded this week to the Redskins after spending his entire 12-year career with the Dolphins. In a move designed to mark a fresh start in DC, Taylor abandoned the number 99 that he wore in Miami in favor of number 55.... Still, Taylor admitted to feeling a bit odd putting on his new team's uniform... Something felt kind of strange and somewhat out of place.


I think I know now a bit what it's like for a veteran sports star whose spent his entire career in one city to be traded (or in my case, picked up off the waiver wire) to a new team. The game is the same, but you have to learn a new playbook and new technology, and get used to working with a new set of teammates wearing new uniforms. That's just what I'm facing at WBAL.

Right now, it feels like I'm on some sort of exchange program, and that I'll soon be back in my familiar digs on Jenifer Street, pounding out stories in the WMAL newsroom just as I did for more than 20 years. I know, of course, that that is NOT going to happen, but for now it still feels odd to be doing what I have always done - just in a different environment.

Imagine then how strange it was for me to do a news report this morning with a different ending than I've ever had to use before - Here's my very first report on WM - er, WBAL!

Please don't get me wrong... I am very much enjoying my time at WBAL. It's just kind of an out-of-body experience these days...

No comments: