Monday, November 3, 2008

A Rose Growing Among The Weeds!

Let's face it... there's a lot to not be happy about these days - especially with the economy being what it is... So we take our good news where we can find it! And I found it yesterday at the gas pump at Costco in Columbia, where I filled up the minivan for (drum roll please..... ) $2.12 a gallon!




It cost me less to fill up my minivan this week than it did to fill up my little Honda Civic last week! This prompted me to google "gas prices", and here's what I found out!
  • Regular gas is now averaging $2.44 a gallon nationwide, down $1.11 cents in a month, and down $1.67 since the price peaked at $4.11 a gallon in July!

  • Gas prices have fallen for 46 days in a row, and some analysts think the average price will drop another 25 cents or so before it bottoms out in December.

  • Gas has not been this cheap in 19 months.

  • The cost of crude oil has dropped even further than gas... Down more than 50 percent, from nearly $150 a barrel to 63 dollars a barrel this week.

One wonders what might have happened on Wall Street and at the ballot box if the spike in gas prices had never happened. There's really no way of knowing. But I do think the auto and travel industries would be in a lot better shape than they are now!

Still, I somehow don't think the SUV is on the verge of a comeback!

No comments: