Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Santa!

When I was in college, I spent one Christmas season working as Santa at the Dey's department store in downtown Syracuse, New York. I enjoyed the job, sitting right outside the toy department, asking the kids what they wanted for Christmas. The only thing that really drove me nuts was that the only music they had was the Muppets Christmas album, which unfortunately scarred me for life. To this day, whenever I hear them sing "The 12 Days of Christmas", and Miss Piggy lets out "Five Go-olllld Riiiiinngs!!!", I break out in hives. (shudder!)

The only bad thing that happened to me was one or two little kids peeing on my leg. That was uncomfortable, but at least I didn't own the suit or have to pay to get it dry-cleaned! The guy in this video had it MUCH worse!

1 comment:

Julie Matthews said...

In terms of songs you can't stand for work-related reasons, how about when you were the receptionist at WMAL/Q107 in 1982? Every time you answered the phone, some pipsqueak would scream, "Would you play Gloria?"

In case you forget, here are a bit of Laura Branigan's lyrics:

Gloria (Gloria), I think they got your number (Gloria)
I think they got the alias (Gloria) that you've been living under (Gloria)
But you really don't remember, was it something that they said?
Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?

(Gloria, Gloria, Gloria, Gloria, Gloria)
(Gloria, Gloria, Gloria, Gloria, Gloria)