Monday, January 12, 2009

(Kate Winslet's) Golden Globes!



Awards season is upon us, and normally I don't really care all that much because I rarely get out to the movies, but as previously mentioned, I am now getting advance copies of most of the awards contenders, and I've noticed these awards show are actually much more interesting when I know what's going on!


Just a couple of things to mention here from last night's Golden Globes...



    A big hurray for Kate Winslet winning both Best Actress for "Revolutionary Road" and Best Supporting Actress for "The Reader". Winslet is this generation's Meryl Streep - simply the best actress working today, bar none. Plus, I've had a giant crush on/obsession with her since "Titanic". "The Reader" was an excellent film, and I highly recommend it... I still have not seen "Revolutionary Road", but with Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio, how can it go wrong?


    It's clear that "Slumdog Millionaire" is the can't-go-wrong choice for 2009... It swept all four categories it was nominated for, including Best Drama. I did enjoy "Slumdog", but I have to tell you - it reminded me a lot of "Sideways", which was the hot film during its own awards cycle a few years back. "Sideways" was a nice light comedy - a good rental, but otherwise a formulaic movie that really did nothing to advance the art of filmmaking. In other words, it was way overrated. So is "Slumdog Millionaire", in my opinion. This rags-to-riches tale of an Indian street rat winning the grand prize on the Mumbai version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" was fun, but completely predictable.

"30 Rock", "Mad Men" and "John Adams" won the big TV awards - No surprise there - all three are fabulous in their own right.

Did I mention Kate Winslet and her twin globes?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Slumdog winning is perfectly reflecting how good it was. I am happy to see them win the awards they did. And Kate Winslet winning was exciting. She looked amazing, it must have been a picture perfect night for her.

John Matthews said...

I just finished watching "Revolutionary Road". Winslet was great - but then again, she's great in everything she does. What a depressing film, though! Oy! Still think Slumdog is overrated, but that's why we have blogs, isn't it?

To each their own!